TEDDIE’S TREATMENT – NOVEMBER 2014 Health Reasons to HUG SOMEONE TODAY! • STIMULATES OXYTOCIN: Oxytocin works on the brain’s emotional center, which promotes feelings of contentment as well as reducing anxiety and stress. • CULTIVATES PATIENCE: Connections are fostered when people take ... Read Full Post
TEDDIE’S TREATMENT – NOVEMBER 2014
Health Reasons to HUG SOMEONE TODAY!
• STIMULATES OXYTOCIN: Oxytocin works on the brain’s emotional center, which promotes feelings of contentment as well as reducing anxiety and stress.
• CULTIVATES PATIENCE: Connections are fostered when people take the time to appreciate and acknowledge one another. A hug is one of the easiest ways to show appreciation and acknowledgment of another person.
• PREVENTS DISEASE, PROMOTES GROWTH: Affection has a direct response on the reduction of stress, which prevents many diseases. It also promotes growth in premature babies, reduces pain, decreases autoimmune disease symptoms, etc.
• STIMULATES THYMUS GLAND: Hugs strengthen the immune system. The gentle pressure on the sternum and the emotional charge created stimulates the thymus gland, which regulates and balances the body’s production of white blood cells that keep you healthy & disease free.
• COMMUNICATION WITHOUT SAYING A WORD: Almost 70% of communication is non-verbal. The interpretation of body language can be based on a single gesture. Hugging is an excellent method of expressing yourself non-verbally to another person.
• SELF-ESTEEM: Hugging boosts self-esteem. A touch shows us we are loved and special.
• STIMULATES DOPAMINE: Everything everyone does involves protecting and triggering dopamine flow. Dopamine is responsible for giving us that feel-good feeling, and it is also responsible for motivation! Hugs stimulate the brain to release dopamine, the pleasure hormone.
• STIMULATES SEROTONIN: Reaching out and hugging releases endorphins and serotonin into the blood vessels. This negates pain and sadness. It decreases the chances of getting heart problems, helps fight excess weight and prolongs life.
• PARASYMPATHETIC BALANCE: Hugs balance out the nervous system. The skin has areas that sense tough and contact the brain. The effect of a hug balances our nervous system.
So, today, reach out and hug someone!! It is SO-O-O-O healthy for YOU and it is SO-O-O-O healthy for the person you hug!!
Teddie Rinehart, R.N.C.
P.S. Just a quick thank you to ALL the residents, families and BFM’s for their love, concern and gifts during my recent loss. It made me feel like I had a lot of hugs from each one of you! May God bless you for your thoughtfulness! Let me share the short poem that Dad and Mom loved so much: “And now the journey is over, too short, alas too short. It was filled with adventure and wisdom – laughter and love – gallantry and grace. So farewell…..farewell.”